Monday, January 03, 2011

"Love is real and not fade away..."

To blog or not to blog. That is the question. Over the years I've had an intense love/hate relationship with blogging. I love writing; I always have. My love of writing and creativity in general is what led me to follow a career in advertising. I hate that I'm so critical of my writing, though. I hate that there are so many wonderfully talented writers out there churning out pages and pages of real and interesting information when, at times, there seems to be a dearth of real or interesting things in my life.

And then I realized that I needed to decide what the measuring stick would be for me to be happy in blogging, and the consensus between me and my inner monologue seemed to be that as long as I felt resolved to share my observations - regardless of the level of newsworthiness or helpfulness to others - then I should continue to practice, if only to provide myself with a chance to express myself in writing not subjected to a client's whim.

Loving to write, and writing for a living can be an awful juxtaposition. That's partially why I stopped blogging, too. I was writing and writing and writing all day, but not for myself. And I can be particularly critical of my writing when it's for a client as well.

All that being said, I've never been a quitter in my lifetime, so what's the harm in picking up this old page and getting back in touch with my inner monologue? If nothing else, the timing of early January gives me a good excuse.

So here's to 2011 and writing for oneself. Fourth time's a charm and all that.

No comments: